Maria goes live every other week, taking turns between her author Facebook page and her private Empowering Kids with Character Facebook group. On August 15th, Maria shared a list of books that helps support music in the home. You can watch the video here.
Before Maria got started with her list of books to support music in the home, she showed a necklace that she got for Mother’s Day from a company called Artsonia. It’s a magnet, that clips out and allows her to put little pieces of her children’s art inside. So very cute! You can sign up for your own account here.
Maria loves music and played piano as a kid and now her daughter is taking lessons! She loves to promote music to her children. Here’s the list she shared:
- Before John Was a Jazz Giant by John Coltrane
- This Jazz Man by Karen Ehrhardt
- Do Re Mi: If You Can Read Music, Thank Guido D’Arezzo by Susan Roth
- 88 Instruments by Chris Barton
- Max Found Two Sticks by Brian Pinkney
- Never Play Music Right Next to the Zoo by John Lithgow
- Moses Goes to A Concert by Isaac Millman
- Squeak, Rumble,Whomp!Whomp!Whomp! by Wynton Marsalis
- Passing the Music Down by Sarah Sullivan
- Moose Music by Sue Porter
- M is for Music by Kathleen Krull
- M is for Melody: A Music Alphabet by Kathy-jo Wargin (longer book – great for a classroom, but not for younger children as it takes a while to get through)
Maria also shared that she researched these books online and on Pinterest, then put her favorites on hold at the library. Use your library as a resource – it’s such a wonderful place!!!!
What books can you think of that encourage music appreciation? We’d love to hear – be sure to comment on the Facebook video!
Have you signed up for the Maria’s newsletter? You will learn more about raising kind and caring humans using positive character traits in your home or classroom. By signing up, you will also receive, FREE, our Ultimate Character Booklist with over 100 books we recommend you have in your home or classroom library!
Remember that Maria alternates these videos between her author page and the private Empowering Kids with Character page, which provides more ideas on the monthly theme and also support from fellow parents and educators!
Don’t forget to add the Empowering Kids With Character Flash Briefing on your Amazon Alexa app or Google Play!
Transcribed by Mandy Bush, Executive Assistant