Maria will be going live every other week in her author page, sharing lesson plans that teachers have created around her books. You can watch the video here.
Today’s lesson was by Jen of Sparkling in Second Grade and is about one of Maria’s books, Pink Tiara Cookies for Three. This book is all about a friendship triangle – three friends where one is constantly feeling left out. The book has many teaching lessons and Jen (a teacher in southern California) made kindness cards that you can download and print for FREE!!
**Pause! We want to make sure you are getting all of our up to date research findings and support for parents and educators. Sign up here for our twice a month newsletter!
- Print out the kindness cards
- Keep a jar in the classroom/living room
- Write different ways that kindness can be shown (invite someone to play with you, allow someone to go first, help without being asked) and place these into the jar
- Each morning, pull a card out and do what it says before the end of the day!
- Another way to encourage kindness is when you catch someone being kind, you (or they, depending on age) write down what they did on the card and display it as sort of a “Hall of Fame”.
**If you are still reading, have you grabbed our free Ultimate Character Booklist? The top books you should be reading at home and in the classroom to support positive character development in children!
Remember that Maria alternates these videos between her author page and the private Empowering Kids with Character page, which provides more ideas on the monthly theme and also support from fellow parents and educators!
Transcribed by Mandy Bush, Executive Assistant