There is a fear in today’s society that we are raising kids who feel entitled and that the old admired traits like hard working and humble human beings are going to become extinct. Here are a few things we can do ask parents to be sure we are raising kids who are full of positive character such as grit and gratitude.
- Give your children the chance to be responsible such as giving them chores or teaching them delayed gratification so that they are not getting every single thing they want. Instead, it may take them months to save up for that shop kin stuffed animal.
- Practice saying No. Healthy boundaries are for life training! We don’t hear YES all day in the real world so why raise children who only hear yes?
- Allow failure. Teach your children that mistakes are okay and that we can learn valuable lessons from them.
- Practice gratitude. Model this as a family and your children will start to practice it too.
- Slow down with the selfies that encourage self involvement.
Are you a parent or educator looking for an amazing place on Facebook to learn more about teaching children character traits? Click here to join our private Facebook group.
If you want to know MORE about what is going on in parenting and education, sign up for our quarterly newsletter here.
There is a FREE WORKSHOP coming up in June to learn how you can write and publish an award-winning book. Sign up here.