Laurel has been married for 21 years to her husband Kevin (real estate broker/auctioneer/farmer) with 3 daughters: Hannah 20, Ellie 18, Natalie 14. Currently serves the Sibley-Ocheyedan School District as their K-6 counselor. She serves approximately 375 students offering individual, small group and classroom guidance. She started a program for girls approximately 6 years ago with the focus being empowerment. She has M.A. in School Counseling K-12, a Family and Consumer Science Instructor for 9 years, a School Counselor for 18 years. ISCA (Iowa School Counselor Association)–member and current President – Elect and ASCA member. She loves shooting archery, sewing, crafting/repurposing, cooking, singing.
Character Traits-Teaching your children to be problem solvers
Strategies for encouraging our children to be problem solvers
- Always start with showing empathy.
- Use a power statement like, “I wonder what you’re going to do about this?”
- It’s very important that the child realizes that it’s their problem to solve but that you are going to be there to help them.
- Offer suggestions to the child. Start with bad ones first to get their mind thinking.
- Make sure they understand the consequences are for each the the choices that the make.
- Make a final empowering statement like, “I trust that you are going to make a good decision.”
Connect with Laurel:
Blog: Mrs. K’s Good Stuff http://mygoodstuff2share.blogspot.com/