As a part of my Happiness Project, I choose something new to focus on in my life each month. You can see my 2012 Happiness Project here.
May: Pursue My Hobby
I love photography. I have taken a few online courses and have participated in several online challenges. It motivates me to try new things and I see myself improve as an amateur. This month I am taking a four week class from Jessica Sprague called Portraiture 101. There are video lessons each week along with a forum and live chat with the instructor. It is a lot to take in but I love that I can do it during the day or at night, whatever times work for me. At the end of this month, I am joining a free online workshop on Creative Live called Newborn Posing with Kelly Brown. My friend Nikki is really active with the Creative Live group and Kelle Hampton mentioned it on her blog as well. I have been wanting to grow in this area and when I got an email in April saying that Candace Stringham (I also took her class Oh Shoot! which was an introductory course into the world of DSLRs) was teaching a course in May, I signed up immediately!
April: Going Green
Follow-Up: Our family had a green smoothie every single day this month except for one! It was one day in Florida and I couldn’t find a restaurant on the run to make me a green drink. 29/30 days, not bad. Will we keep it up? Sure! Everyday? I don’t think that’s necessary. Here’s what I found out: Prepping ahead of time and making up your smoothies in bags in the freezer saves you a ton of time. The recipes make enough for our entire family and sometimes we have an 8oz drink left over. I keep this in the fridge and it is good for up to 24 hours. My blender is not the quality blender to be using for making smoothies every day but I am not ready to spend close to $500 for a Vitamix. I will put up with our current blender until it gives out on us!
These were my favorite recipes from Simple Green Smoothies:
” serves 2 ”
1 ½ cups spinach, fresh
½ cup cilantro, fresh
2 cups water
1 lime, peeled
1 inch ginger, fresh
BERRY PROTEIN BASH
2 cups spinach, fresh
2 cups almond milk, unsweetened
1 cups strawberries
1 cup blueberries, frozen
1/2 cup almonds*
*soak overnight in water before blending
Peach Coconut Dream
2 cups spinach, fresh
1 cup coconut water
2 cups Grapes, freeze overnight
You can find out more about this Simple Green Smoothie Challenge here.
Follow-up This month I wanted to grow in a few areas in regards to work.
1. Read Pinterest Savvy by Melissa Taylor and create five things I learned from the book that I am going to put to use. These are the five things I learned about: Verify my website (check), comment on pins (I haven’t done this yet), pin my videos (check), create a board and invite others to pin on it (check), after you follow someone new pin some of their stuff (check).
2.Google+ -I am on it, my profile is set, I’ve joined communities and circles but I am not sold on this platform yet.
4. Thank you to my intern Karelyn for your support in our super successful Twitter Party! We had over thirty people join in the conversation. There were women from Hawaii, India and Singapore! We also had almost 200 entries for our Kindle Giveaway on Pinterest. It was a great month of new marketing adventures.
February: Clean Up & Clear Out
Follow-up This month I wanted to clean or organize something every day of the month. I also wanted to tackle a task that I had been thinking about for a very long time.
1. The clean up was good! I liked having a small task each day. I got a bit behind when we took our family trip.
2. I wrote the letters. Letters to my loved ones in case anything unexpected were to ever happen. Creepy, yes. Something I’ve always wanted to do though.
Follow-up This month I wanted to learn something new. I committed to doing this in three ways.
1. Learn to load the dishwasher. Check. It still doesn’t look professional but with all the plastic servingware I am getting in there, I am not sure that’s possible. Thanks to my pal Erica, I am able to fit more into my dishwasher with some organization!
2. UPDATE: April–this is a hard goal for me!!!! Learn about the instrument I play. Play the piano twice a week. My phone reminder was fun. Every Wednesday and Sunday morning it reminded me to play the piano. I wasn’t always able to stop what I was doing to practice. I will continue to work on this goal!
3. Learn to share my love. I participated in the Happier at Home 21 Day Relationship Challenge. I signed up for this challenge to learn some new, creative ways to show my appreciation to those I love in my life. I don’t see my home lacking in love but why not learn more about vulnerability and authenticity? My favorite things I learned: Don’t keep score, create a threshold ritual, and kiss in the morning and at night.
One Little Word:
I have followed Ali Edwards project “One Little Word” for two years now. My word for 2011 was Peace and my word for 2012 was Balance. I’ve never taken her class but I have incorporated my word into my monthly goals/wishes/resolutions. Here’s how to come up with a word (from Ali). My word for 2013 is Grace.
Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2013?
It can be something tangible or intangible. It can be a thought, a feeling, or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This is not your mother’s word or your spouse’s word or your child’s word”this is YOUR word.
One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities. And here’s one thing that is totally interesting: sometimes a word will pop into your brain and it will not make any sense to you right now. Give it some time. Let it percolate a bit. I have often found that our heart speaks to us in very unique ways. Maybe this is a word you need to hear but just aren’t ready for it yet.
Again, be open to the possibilities.